CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 2, 2007

If by 'me' you are inferring that I have B.O. then I would say, 'That is a poor choice of words.'

We found out our assignment. It may have been the excitement of just getting out of UWI (University of the West Indies), or something to do with a change from 12-hour days spent watching power points, or just natural excitement of an upcoming adventure, but our entire group was energized. Erin and I are located in a small village outside of Montego Bay. This is helpful for those of you who plan on visiting us because we are just a short distance from the main airport in Jamaica. You will also have access to many area hotels, resorts, eateries, and generally the touristy part of the country. Our job will be to set up an after school program at an orphanage. The main goal is to increase literacy for the orphanage’s 97 pikni dem(children… for those of you that don’t read the patwa lessons). Our other projects will include setting up a local library for the pikni dem (Mom and Jill we may be calling in your expertise on this one) and traveling to area schools to teach about HIV/AIDS and sexual health.

So you can see the ocean from our host family’s ginormous patio. It’s pretty amazing. I saw a mongoose on the way to work this morning. I was excited. Mongoose hold great significance for our training class. We were told during staging that there are no mongoose on the island, so we all take great pleasure in spotting them. I haven’t seen a snake yet. Lots of lizards. They are in our room here. Black ones, albino ones, green ones with blue tails… They are fast, but I am an expert, I may catch me one. I don’t want to traumatize them though. We bought these fast drying towels. They are great for packing. But they’re pretty much giant shammies. It’s kind of weird to shammy yourself. Also no amount of water consumed seems to have any effect on the color of our pee. Jamaica is a good place to sweat off a few pounds, man.

0 comments: