CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 17, 2007



Erin is much better keeping current with our blog writing than I am. This can also be said for keeping up with Peace Corps paper work. The thing about the Peace Corps it truly is a product of the federal government. Seriously kiddos, the shear volume of forms, sheets, flow charts, and handouts, many of which are unnecessary, that PC gives us boggles my mind. The only time that bureaucracy of Peace Corps rears its ugly head is in the amount of paperwork. Along with Erin’s new mission of reducing her trash output she has taken it upon herself to hug trees. Now I am all about hugging trees, but she has taken to publicly hugging them in front of Peace Corps officials. During one training session we were asked to come up with a motto for the PC (currently it is: Life is calling, how far will you go?). Erin’s motto was, “Peace Corps… Killing trees for 46 years.” This is especially funny because up until that comment, Erin has been very quiet during our training sessions opting to laugh at my ridiculous comments. So the first thing she vocalizes is a grade A zinger and the training staff collectively gasped. The gasp was soon followed by an assortment of embarrassed titters. She is now reminded on an almost daily basis of her infamous zinger by PC staff. She receives calls about whether they can send us one copy of materials for the two of us to share so that we save paper and therefore trees. And sadly, we only get one copy of Newsweek to share. She really does have a point though. Between the two of us we have two full 1.5 in binders and two full 2.5 in binders. Not to mention our huge stack other folders, manuals, and handouts and that is on top of all piles of papers from before we left.
Back to the blog writing… At one point as I literally wrestled with our computer, I swore that I would not write another blog until the computer’s battery worked and I could type without being plugged in to the wall. Grrrrrr. Anyway the process of getting Apple to replace my battery is hitting some hurdles because we are in Jamaica, so if any one has an extra battery hanging around for a power book… I guess I will just stew in my contempt.
We only have a week left of training and then our final exams. Assuming we pass we will be sworn in on Aug 24. Woohoo!! I am so excited about swearing in because it will be the unveiling of my pimpin’ pinstripe suit. To compliment my suit are some rocking red low-top cowboy boots and some mirrored aviators. To complete the look I have been growing my facial hair for a few weeks and will style it appropriately for the ceremony. Right now I am thinking fu man chu, but that may change. So get excited for those pictures. Just so you don’t get too anxious awaiting those here are some pics of where we live. Enjoy.

0 comments: