CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 17, 2007

Indians do not eat monkey brains! And if they do... sign me up! Because I am sure that they are very tasty and nutritional.

Have you ever thought about the amount of trash that we produce daily? It is disgusting. When we walk down the main street of the nearby large city in the morning you can see people clearing the trash away from the day before. It is disgusting. You would not believe how much amasses during 24 hours. I am going to start a personal crusade against adding to the amount of trash in the world. Silly humans. On a completely unrelated note, we were able to see the library at our Village this week. I am quite exited about the room. It is shaded and there are ample windows, so it is not too hot. There is plenty of wall space for children’s artwork, charts, and library rules to hang. The shelves are sturdy. There are some great books in there too. Alas, there are also some random books that will not pique the interest of any child. And the books have been languishing in open, soggy cardboard boxes for some time. Needless to say, some of the books did not survive. Many fell victim to the infamous chi-chi ants (termites). With the “help” of several boys, we were able to get all of the books off the ground and sweep out the room. Our supervisor is hoping to get the place sprayed for bugs and we are hoping to scrub the shelves and dust off the books. The boys seemed eager to sit and look at the books, and several asked to take some home. I feel that this is encouraging. They also threw the books and occasionally jumped on them, but we’ll work on that. I eat so much peanut butter when I am away from home. I wonder what changes about my diet. My freshman year at school Lindsay and I had peanut butter at least twice a day. Meg and I demolished a 3 lb jar in a month when we got to Ireland—just the two of us. I have it at least once, usually twice a day here. There is some sitting right here next to me and I am fighting my desire to stick my finger in it. Mmmm peanut butter. You both sustain and satisfy me. I succumbed. I was trying to think of something interesting to write and I needed the peanut butter to help me think. So it has been raining a lot here the past week or so. When it rains it is serious business. I need to remember to take a picture. The roads are transformed into muddy, rushing rivers, which you must wade across to get anywhere. The taxi drivers cannot see, so it takes forever to get anywhere and you are a bit worried that you either will not survive the drive, or that you will not be able to tell him where to stop. We’ve managed so far though. The rain sounds pleasant from inside, and it cools everything off considerably.

1 comments:

Jill said...

I'm so proud of my tree-hugging daughter : ) Hug tight and give us a call as soon as "Dean" blows over. Love, Mom