CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, July 7, 2007

Why do I like Hooters? Two reasons, the boobs and the hot wings.

So I woke up this morning covered in a rash. Literally covered. I was not amused. I am pretty sure that it is heat rash, and one of the volunteers said that her friend had it all two years he served. If this is the case, ya'll will be seeing my spotted white hide very soon. I do not want to be the weird speckled white girl. Today we were allowed off the campus where we are training for the first time. Right into downtown Kingston. We were the only white people there. Let me say that again, the ONLY. Small children were pointing at us because they had never seen a white person before. The lottery here uses symbols instead of numbers and one of the symbols is a white person. Apparently the random appearance of 60 "whiteys" in the middle of the market was seen as an omen, and everyone rushed to include the white guy on their lottery ticket. Awesome. A helpful gentleman we encountered upon disembarking from the bus warned me that the "sun'll burn ya, baby." It was thoughtful of him to share his concerns for my welfare. So it's hot here. Not really any hotter or more humid than Missouri in August, but more unrelenting. There is no air conditioning in which to duck. I actually gathered the energy to run today. I ran circles on the grass track at the university while Patrick played football (the real kind) at a nearby pitch. Mostly I got embarrassed by this wee Jamaican girl of about 6, who raced me for a lap. She was wearing a jean skirt and she had no shoes on and she was maybe waist high, and she definitely kept up with me. And Patrick was kicked in the thumb. We're almost totally surrounded by mountains where we are now. It is gorgeous. Last night we climbed a palm tree (almost definitely against some rule or another) and grabbed some coconuts to pass around. Our rooms are kind of cool, the windows are open and have shutters to let the air in. There are four bedrooms and one shower and kitchen per little "cluster" and the clusters are arranged by fours around a courtyard. Our courtyard has been the scene of most of the action the last few nights. I really can't say any more. Euchre can get pretty crazy.

4 comments:

Jill said...

Hi Sis! Or should I say "Spot"? Your rash might be a reaction to antibiotics too. It was great to hear what and how you've been. It sounds like both you and Patrick are busy and basically, healthy. Do you have any contact information? Just in case someone wants to send something or attempt a call? Take care of yourselves. Can't wait to read the next installment. Love, Mom

Unknown said...

Big! :)

I'm glad to hear that you've made it safe and sound to Jamaica. I'm sorry to hear about your heat rash :( I just got over that this summer. The only advice I have is to make sure to keep the area dry!

And I second your Mom's request for contact information. I would love to send you a care package so you have some goodies from home :)

Can't wait to hear more about your work!

Little Brother Love,
Amanda

Velda said...

Erin and Patrick, I am so glad you are considered LUCKY by the Jamaican people! That has to bode well for the rest of your tour. Take care of yourselves and know you are in our prayers. Thanks for keeping a blog--it's great to learn about your excellent adventure!
love, Velda

Anonymous said...

LMAO re: the whitey post- (is this the wrong one? I can't remember!) I copied it into an email and forwarded it on to my friends...I miss you guys like crazy. Patrick, can you check your email already? Madre is going insane with "Remember When..." emails that are going unanswered... even Irish castles endless baskets of fish n chips aren't enough to help her fill that empty nest. Love you!