CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Can I trust Jim? I don't know. Do I have a choice? No, frankly, I don't. Will I trust Jim? Yes. Should I trust Jim? You tell me.





Waagwaan (what’s up) All right, Erin has posted a couple of times and now it is my turn. Just so I can get it out of the way early… the quote at the beginning is about Dwight stuffing himself in a box, which directly relates to sending Erin and me packages. If you want to send us a package we will try to update every now and then of a wish list of sorts. There is a ton of stuff that we can get here in Jamaica and therefore don’t need that we figured we would in the beginning. But based on recent revelations, we can wear flip-flops, jeans, t-shirts, etc. so there are things we could use. We don’t want anybody to feel obligated by any means, but if you feel so inclined… Here is our address:

Patrick Mazi
c/o Country Director
Howard Anderson
US Peace Corps
8 Worthington Avenue
Kingston 5.
Jamaica, West Indies

This address is mainly for packages. Packages are actually okay because being labeled through the Peace Corps gets them a sort of free ride through customs. HOWEVER, please make sure that you fill out the declaration section and post it on the package or it will get opened and cause a huge hassle for everyone involved.

Thus far there are three things that I am working on to make my adjustment into a Jamerican (that’s Jamaica crossed with an American for those a bit slow on the uptake). They are as follows:
1) The heat. Not that the heat is all that oppressive. I would much rather be hanging in Kingston in July than in KC. It is not as though you walk outside and the humidity smacks you in the face like in the Midwest. However, the heat here is omnipresent. At breakfast it is hot, at bedtime it is hot, and definitely during the day it is hot. There is no escaping it and this manifests itself in increased fatigue. I realize many of you are thinking, “ But Patrick, you worked outside for the waterproofing company. Aren’t you used to the heat and being outside?” Well, yes I am and I am. I feel like I am acclimating myself more efficiently. The problem is just that there is just not much of a break from the heat. Like say the air conditioning in one’s car. No we walk everywhere here in the gorgeously bright but hot, hot sun.
2) Breakfast. Here Breakfast is a big deal. I realize I capitalized the B in breakfast and that was for subtle emphasis. So subtle I thought it best to point it out. Breakfast here consists of saltfish and Ackee (Jamaica’s national dish), fried plantains, boiled bananas, fruit of all kinds, toast, juice, Kallaloo which is fried greens and they’re spicy, and chicken frankfurters. Basically it is a large mostly hot meal. So being used to cereal and coffee, I am making an adjustment. But the coffee here is wonderful so that makes things easier.
3) Good Night. Good night here does not really mean ‘I am heading to bed.’ It is the greeting one uses when it is dark. Like good morning before noon, we use good night as a nighttime hello. I rather like the usage but it is new and I am getting better at remembering to use it.
Well before I head out Erin and I wanted to make sure we teach y’all some Jamaican Patwa/Patois. I figured that I would teach it in no particular order that way upon our return we can talk about everyone at parties and family gatherings without you guys knowing what we are saying.

Patwa Lesson 1: When wanting to express emphasis much like the English use of the word ‘too,’ patwa speakers double the adjective. Here are two examples:
The child is too fearful Di pikni fredi-fredi
They greeted me half-heartedly Dem did griit mi fenki-fenki

Well I love you all. Waak gud!

Patrick

0 comments: