CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 22, 2008

In the wild, there is no healthcare. In the wild healthcare is 'Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me, and I'm dead.'

They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal healthcare in Cuba. So why do they want to come here? – Paul Harvey

At various times I have spouted off rants about one thing or another on this blog. You have my apologies if I have caused offense, but brace yourself for another harangue. I also apologize as this has little to do with Jamaica. Erin and I watched Barack and Hillary debate last night and made pumpkin pie. The pumpkin pie really hit the spot but the debate has me worried.

For those of you unfamiliar with my political leanings, I consider myself an independent with fairly libertarian interpretations of most issues. In short I think the government should have as little impact on my life as possible. It is my belief that the intentions of the founding fathers was to erect a minimal government that only served to protect the individual citizens when their rights are infringed upon.

There are many things that are great in theory. The most striking one that comes to mind is communism and having dabbled in the works of Marx, Engels, et al. the idea itself is reasonable. However in practice, historically, it has failed to live up to its utopian aspirations. Back to last night's debate... One of the key issues the candidates sparred over was universal healthcare. Up until last night around 9:15 I thought universal healthcare was a great idea. Like I said, "... many things are good in theory." Upon further reflection and reading details of their plans I am thoroughly freaked out about healthcare of the universal variety. Are they serious about making it mandatory? Charging fines for those not enrolled? What if I cannot afford it? What if (however unlikely it is) I place 15% of my salary into an account for future medical procedures, am I still forced to participate?

Having healthcare is great and I think it should be a feasible venture for anybody interested. BUT, the thought of the government forcing me to participate in anything severely rubs me the wrong way. To me, it seems mandates such as the ones planned by both candidates about universal healthcare, are actions that begin a descent down a slippery slope.

I have pointed out an issue that is predominately from the democratic party, but neither party is currently sympathetic to libertarian viewpoints (save Republican Ron Paul, though his candidacy is very, very unlikely).

I lieu of a sign off, here are some quotes from people more intelligent than me concerning their libertarian ideals...Patrick

-They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. – Benjamin Franklin

-One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation. – Thomas B. Reed

-No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session. – Mark Twain

-There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible to live without breaking laws. – Ayn Rand

-To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. – Thomas Jefferson

-I believe that every individual is naturally entitled to do as he pleases with himself and the fruits of his labor, so far as it in no way interferes with any other men's rights. – Abraham Lincoln

-The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent harm to others. His own good, either physical or moral, is not sufficient warrant. – John Stuart Mill

2 comments:

Jesse E. Hunter said...

I especially like the last quote. SO right on. Josh and I voted for Ron Paul in our primary, and we're not sure how we'll vote come November-but it's looking pretty bleak.

Random PC question: Did you guys wear your wedding rings down, get new ones specifically for the trip, or something else? We're debating. Ours aren't big and flashy, but I'd still hate for anything to happen. Plus, I'm not sure how cautious to be of muggings, etc. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Bredda:
For once, I agree with nearly everything you said.

I will continue to disagree with your stance on procreation based on the temperments of hyperactive pickneys, ya nuh see it? That makes me want to yeyewata.

Mi lub yu kyaan done.
(I just got back from a visit to the Jamaican slang Web site...impressed, huh? ;) ) Jen