CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 15, 2008

So, the deal was, Dwight doesn't blow anything up and I wear a costume. And a mustache.

“Happy Friday!” Erin cheerfully announces while checking on what would be a delicious (surprisingly for those of your who are familiar with Erin’s culinary exploits) dinner in the oven. This makes me feel better as Jamaica was doing a pretty good job of beating me down today. The realization that bad people are everywhere (I mean worldwide not just in Jamaica) sometimes depresses me. What the hell folks?! That piece of crap in Illinois who swiss-cheesed his former fellow students before doing himself is beyond my scope of understanding. Feel free to help out natural selection and remove yourself from the gene pool but leave everybody else alone, tool shed. For what reason would someone possibly have to shoot up his ex-classmates at school? Or for that matter another person in a busy section of downtown MoBay? I am lost on their reasoning, maybe my pragmatism is getting in the way of identifying with bloodlust-ing creepers. “This-ism, that-ism, ism ism ism
 All (I am) saying is give peace a chance!” Thanks Mr. Lennon… I completely agree.

Give peace a chance indeed.

So Erin and I attended a little ceremony at our orphanage today. The local Ritz-Carlton Hotel was sponsoring one of our houses and they had a ceremonial ribbon cutting. Erin has never shied away from detailing her situational social awkwardness but I have never lumped myself in with her in that regard. After many evenings spent rubbing elbows with Kansas City “elite” (aka folks that are richer than god) while volunteering at Leukemia and Lymphoma Society fundraisers, I felt as if I could schmooze with anyone. After 8 months in Jamaica my ability to connect with strangers in social situations has completely disappeared. I am not saying this to whine… but as a statement of fact. I used to be able to sell ketchup popsicles to ladies in white gloves and now I babbled on for 4 minutes about the fact the Jamaica is hot. No sh*t Sherlock! I hope this social deficiency is a temporary fault. I attribute this to the bulk of my daily interactions being with people under the age 10 and the occasional crazy-ass bum. So a plea to all, when I come home in March, please be patient as I adjust to proper conversational etiquette.

In the vain assumption that new volunteers are currently or may soon read our blog (I have proof of at least one… thanks for reading and commenting Jesse), Erin and I will post commentary useful to Peace Corps newbs in upcoming blogs. This may be entertaining as it will inevitably show how ill prepared we were at times and maybe give non-PC recruits additional insight into what is required for daily life here. On the plus side, even if it fails to provide useful info or insight, it might provide respite to those of you weary of my eccentric soliloquies.

As American as Apple Pie… Patrick

p.s. Jesse~ You are more than welcome to link our blog. We are glad you got some enjoyment out of it. If you, or your husband, have additional questions/concerns/impatient ramblings about Peace Corps feel free to email. pbmazi@gmail.com

3 comments:

Jesse E. Hunter said...

I was so excited to read my name in your blog...like a quasi-fame or something. Thanks for the proposed informational posts!

Have you guys watched the British Office at all? We got seasons 1&2 for Christmas and just finished them--pretty funny and much different in tone from the U.S. version. Apparently, in England, Dwight is pronounced "Gareth." Weird, I know.

Have a great week!

Jesse E. Hunter said...

Also, we're right with you on the hostile behavior in Illinois (and apparently in MoBay)...I mean, what the heck! I can understand how it would ruin your day or atleast cause a mood change.

We're having dinner with a RPCV tomorrow night-Sheila Denemark. Did you know her at all? I think she left about the time you two arrived. Peace out.

Scott said...

Patrick, I've been checking out your blog occasionally over the last several weeks because my wife and I are going to be doing peace corps in Jamaica starting this summer.I noticed you like rock climbing, have you been able to do any while you've been there? I really want to bring my climbing gear and some bolting hardware (hammer drill, stainless bolts and hangers, good anchors), but I've been told by other Jamaican PCV's that I shouldn't waste my time. What do you think?

Scott Eagan
scotteagan@hotmail.com