CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 5, 2008

We're all homos. Homo sapiens.

I was in a bookstore in downtown MoBay and encountered a peculiar site. On one of the main shelves, prominently displayed, was the novel Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides. Despite this Pulitzer Prize winning book getting rave reviews from Erin (though I have struggled through parts), I was very, very surprised to find it shelved so conspicuously. For those of you that have procrastinated reading this book STOP HERE!, the following is a SPOILER… The protagonist is Calliope, who after having a lesbian-ish experience finds out she is in fact a he that has 5-alpha-reductase deficiency. So a couple of un-descended testes later, some incest, and transvestitism (though unknown to Cal), this book really hits home the complexities of gender identity. Let me pause to express just how taboo homosexuality is here. It is biblical stoning taboo—literally. Jamaican homosexuals were almost (but not) granted U.N. refugee status. So for this book to have such a blatant placement I have to assume the store itself or the shelf stocker is extremely progressive. I hesitate to fully assume the liberal leanings of the store as Middlesex was surrounded with books whose covers were adorned with Fabio’s oiled chest and whose titles included The Pirate’s Booty (that title doesn’t necessarily imply smut novel, but its cover confirmed my suspicions). So maybe there was a mix-up in the book orders, maybe someone was excited by the idea of a Pulitzer Prize winning romance novel, but I want to think the owners/staff of this bookstore were deliberate in their shelving. I am happy with the idea that they are trying to encourage their fellow countrymen to open their minds.

I was in the bookstore to solicit some presentation supplies and was just browsing to kill time waiting for them to draw up my invoice. For the past couple of days Erin and I have been running around trying to complete a grant application. We are planning an HIV/AIDS peer educator training for the children at our orphanage. This training, for 20-40 kids (depending on summer work schedules), will provide instruction on HIV and other STIs, work to improve ability to make positive life decisions, and how to impart their knowledge to their peers. We are also having the kids create HIV/AIDS awareness paintings (on nice canvas with quality paint) to be displayed at their respective schools. The idea is for our kids to then use their new skills to create projects/presentations for World AIDS Day and present them at their schools. All in all we hope to indirectly raise awareness among 3000 or so area school children. Big up to Erin as she dominated the grant application. (This is Erin, I am reading over the blog and I wish to point out that I did not dominate it. I have the ability to dominate it, but I do not feel that I utilized that ability to its fullest.) We are really excited and are hoping our grant is accepted. Keep your fingers crossed.

I would rather take your punch, than not give you a shot.
Patricio

4 comments:

kcbookworm said...

For your blog readers, would you add more information about the intolerance of gays in Jamaica? Don't forget that NY Times article from February. I think people would be interested in that aspect of the culture.

Love the grant idea proposal. Way to go, Erin! This project will positively impact sooo many kids and families.

Josey said...

I'm pretty sure that if the book seller knew what they had put on their shelf they would have set their own store on fire, and then set themselves on fire for making the mistake.

Josey said...

just kidding, their are those few tolerant people in Jamaica, tolerant as in they know it happens and dont happen to care, but if they ever saw it happen, as in two men kissing each other, would most likely make a pretty big scene, or at least be very angry.

Jesse E. Hunter said...

How'd it go with the grant?